Tuesday, May 13, 2008

it's nice when looks are not deceiving

I'm surprised when I find out that people have not heard about the story of Josef Fritzl, the man from Austria who locked his daughter and secret children he had with his daughter in the basement for...was it 24 years?

A collection of CNN articles about this man and the discovery of his "House of Horrors" here.

When I IMed my friend about it, he had forgotten what we were talking about and thought that the picture of the guy was a picture of a guy I had dated (the previous topic of discussion). At which point we discussed the picture. Is the story (and reading about it) creepier because you have to see this sleazy-looking man's face everytime you read it and it all seems dirtier?...or is it better than he looks sketchy because if he had actually looked like a normal man you might get freaked out that anyone might be a crazy incestual rapist with the ability to cover his tracks for decades?

I think my friend was right with the latter opinion. But I still don't like Fritzl's picture. Can't they replace it with something that just says "WTF???" or "disturbed man." Yeah. I'd like only the alt-text please.

No comments: