Sunday, June 15, 2008

Obama is black

As we all know, Barack Obama, is not white. Not purely anyway. I personally don't really want to call him black, but for lack of a better term, he self-describes himself as such. (I don't have strong political reasons at all for not saying black, but why are asian-white half breeds endearingly called halfies, while there is no distinction for most any other race/ethnicity?)

My officemate sent me a link to this video so I could join in on the anger and annoyance she experienced when watching it. It's some independent interviewers talking to people, mostly Clinton supporters, on what they'd do if Obama were the democratic candidate. (Yeah, this post is a bit old.)



I don't what to say or even what not to say about this video. There's so much to dig into and be perturbed about. I've decided not to particularly bash these people because I have been found blissfully ignorant about things (albeit topics far less tragic, like which finger the engagement ring goes on). Fine, some people just haven't been exposed to and educated in the same way most of us have. (The way that democrats and republicans just don't understand each other and assume our respective beliefs to be pure fact is for another day.)

Was gonna tie in some stuff from the interview on Jimmy Kimmel yesterday before Game 5 of the NBA finals, but right now I should get back to work. :-) It was cute, and light-hearted, with a few moments of things that fall on the "good" side of the spectrum of racism. :-) Firstly, as my friend Mike was apt to point out that it was a black guy being interviewed about basketball before a big game. He must be an expert, right? Also a pretty sweet clip of Obama playing basketball. Also his mention that in Hawaii where he was part of a HS championship team, the people of asian descent made it easy for him to be pretty much one of the tallest in the league. Also the fist pound at the end of the interview. Woo. Here's the interview. Obama's smile has won me over.



"Do you think that if the Lakers come back that it might encourage Hilary to come back too?"

Hehe.

No comments: