Thursday, February 14, 2008

Even peanut butter changes...

Of all things today, peanut butter is intriguing me. Armed with celery stalks from home which I refused to add to the "yet another vegetable goes bad and gets thrown out" list, I went out during my lunch break to get a jar of peanut butter. The only place nearby is Whole Foods so of course even the cheapest peanut butter was all natural.

Though I'm sure it's fine, it looks terrifying. What happened to the Jif and Skippy peanut butter I used to know? Shiny, spreadable paste? This stuff I got--store brand non-organic...still all natural. It is a sort of peanut soup that I mixed vigorously with my plastic cutlery in hopes that it would turn into the unnaturally homogenous paste I've grown to love. I was surprised that they even have peanut butter machines in Whole Foods! Like the machine that grinds coffee (which I already thought was cool even though I've never used it) but with...peanuts. Goop comes out of a spout.

And when I returned to my office, my officemate told me that her favorite peanut butter is Smart Balance brand. It's still all natural, but they replace some of the peanut oils with the omega oils (those "good" fish and flax oils you hear about) so it's...good for you. Well, for peanut butter anyway. Vegetarians are definitely more knowledgable about that stuff sometimes.

Well, as if that segways into the next statement, happy Valentine's Day! No posts until Tuesday probably. Visiting school and being an alum!

No comments: