Wednesday, February 20, 2008

What was I thinking?...

Today a song by 311 came up on a web station I was listening to.

Once upon a time, about 12 years ago, No Doubt was the first band I ever liked definitively. Tragic Kingdom was my first album. Back when the internets and the intarweb was just the internet and the world wide web was new, there was a fan site for No Doubt. One whose web URL changed into a fan site for 311 for some reason.

Why do I remember this? Because for about a week of my life, that site was my life.

I get the feeling we all do things when we were younger which we can't really comprehend now.

This site, wherever it was, just like a lot of other fan sites, declared itself THE most definitive unofficial fan site there is. It was such an authority on No Doubt that in order to join, you had to answer enough questions on a quiz correctly. All of the answer fields were open...this was no multiple choice piece of cake. I was determined to get into this site. I read through my CD insert and searched online (using dogpile as I believe this was pre-Google world domination) for answers to questions about who was dating whom, when they broke up, other dates, cities, and probably favorite colors, who knows. I wanted to get into this site so badly. I'm not sure if it was a matter of wanting to prove how much I liked No Doubt, or if it was to have a sense of belonging and to begin my test-taking life.

And so I ran around the internet on less than 56k dial-up for answers, but I couldn't come up with any. I still filled out the quiz as best I could and clicked submit. I never heard back. And I also stopped caring soon after. I found the site in my bookmarks long after and found that it had turned into a 311 fan site. Whatever.

I don't get what drives kids. Why did I want to get in on this extremely unprofessional site? At least I didn't spend any money on my failed quest. :-)

No comments: