Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Why I chose not to vote

Voter turnout is almost as important an issue in itself as the issues we're voting for.

And thus, welcome to possibly the most "contraversial" post of my life.

I did not vote in this year's Democratic primary.

It was not
...because I don't understand the power of the vote, how it is the easiest and in some ways only voice of a citizen that cannot be ignored, and how important it is to vote for the whole system to function.
...because I forgot.
...because I don't care about this year's election.
...because I'm lazy.
...because I did not have access to information about each candidate's stances and understand them. (I suppose that's up for debate.)

It was because I couldn't choose.

I realize I could have shown up and been uncommitted, but I was pretty sure if I went or I filled out that absentee ballot I'd choose someone. And at that point that'd just be a completely random vote, a statistical nightmare.

You're thinking:
WHAT A DUMB REASON!

You know, I'd be the first to agree with you. I'm a notoriously indecisive person and also self-proclaimed to be politically ignorant. Clearly, I don't understand the depth and intricacies of the issues. But here's another question...who really does? Nowhere on your ballot is a quiz of who supports what, and what impact taxes or medicare or Iraq will have on your lives and the lives of everyone around you and around the world. People vote because they want to, have a strong opinion however it's based (even if it's on a reggaeton song from Amigos de Obama).

I'm neither far to the left nor the right. I'm young, and therefore seemingly prone to be liberal...and I am. But I identify myself as a moderate. I took this election to be like any other bit of conflict or discussion...I choose my battles. I will let those who feel passionately about who they want as their representative in the presidential race, and not interfere. Also, somehow since it was down to 2 big runners, things were less clean cut than before. (Diversity and choice of all kinds are good!)

I agree--this is a pretty dumb thing to have to explain. And though I said the reason wasn't because I was lazy, I suppose others would at least characterize this as apathetic. I'm just trying to slant it a bit towards a more thoughtful decision. Though I don't mind being called apathetic...it's quite possible that "apathetic" is the single most descriptive adjective of my being.

Will I vote in the presidential election? Yes. Very yes.

No comments: