Saturday, August 16, 2008

don't let me get you

I'm not sure if this made a splash when it came out a long while ago, but I only recently heard the song "Dear Mr. President" by P!nk (featuring Indigo Girls?)



Let me start with this statement. I hate this song. You guys know I ain't no Bush supporter. But all it does it blame Bush for all of the problems in the world, as if he's some cruel God that could instantly fix things if he wanted to, which he isn't, and thus this song isn't constructive at all. It's really accusatory on his character, and not critiquing his administration. (And given the US President's celebrity-like status, who's to say we even know what his character and personality is like? Everything is overinflated in the media.)

I just generally don't like it when things are done just to make a stir or an overdramatic statement, when it will clearly not achieve anything (but a lot of far-left Bush haters to buy her CD).

I find that the only times I ever really speak out on an issue is when people come down to the level of flashy strong comments. After Bush won the election in 2004, I saw panlists erupt in Democratic despair, where people would post comments in the vein of "lets go to canada" and "sh** why is America so retarded?" and many references to bumblef*** America. I'm sure the Republicans on those panlists weren't offended at all.

Anyway, it might just be because I'm more centrist/moderate than the average liberal, but this goes in my cheap-shot/tasteless category. Used to like you more, P!nk.

PS - speaking of tasteless, did anyone find the post women's gymnastics team final interview with Alicia Sacramone to be tasteless, cruel, and unnecessary? You know what I'm talking about if you do...

No comments: