Wednesday, August 13, 2008

link roundup

Today was slow day at work + pub quiz night + the Olympics are clearly still on so...I have not much to say.

Here's today's link dump! WOOOOO.

Engadget: Another flexible circuit project emerges, carbon nanotubes to blame
I have to admit. Pretty much ONLY because I've had to examine a patent app or two that I think carbon nanotubes are pretty cool. I guess all nano stuff is cool in general, but I used to etch these tips in lab that used to grow them and I still didn't care.
Anyway the moral of the lesson of the article: small things (like people!) can be surprisingly useful.

Webware: Your gas: it's social
This is just STRANGE. Isolated, it's a pretty good idea. You put in how much you spend for gas, when you did it...it tracks your mileage and fuel economy, which might be a good thing. Maybe you're trying a new longer route to work with less stop and go, and you want to know if it saves you gas over the course of a week? But to make it a social site? Get a group a friends and maybe it'll be fun -- but I'll be damned if I go "fuelly" stalk someone to judge and see how thrifty they are. Though it might be good to compare and see if you suck at dealing with getting the most drive for your dollar. :-)

Gizmodo: The World's First Webmail Service Using Live Snails
This is just funny. Just go and read it.
(Thanks for sending this to me, Hao!)

Bonus video today!
This is Sungha Jung playing "Kiss From a Rose" on a guitar. If you've never heard of him, or "jwcfree" on Youtube, you should definitely check him out. He looks tiny but he's almost 12 (Chinese Women's gymnastics controversy anyone?) and is a bit of a "Finger Style Guitar Playing Prodigy". (Yeah, not my words.)
Anyway, this isn't his best, but I think it's one of the songs I knew well in the first place so I can enjoy it better. Subscribe to him. It's like having a mix CD with all of the random stuff he plays. And he comes out with a new recording every week or usually less!



*edit
Okay, I may or may not love this video more. Because he's curled up against a wall with the light hitting in a strange way, and he's gonna break some hearts one day I imagine. "With or Without You"!

No comments: