Monday, August 4, 2008

virtually happy

I use meebo, on recommendation from Warren one day, for all of my browser IM needs. Combining google talk, AIM, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ...it's a pretty nice interface. The browser kind of turns into its own workspace (a la Linux workspaces I mean) and you can open up the world of IM-ing or minimize it. Or you can pop out the IM windows and put them back in later. Anyway. Enough of professing my love for it.

Every few days that have a new blog entry, and the newest one always shows up in an IM window if you have an account and sign on. Today's is called emo with meebo.

It's a cute little list of the most use emoticons on the meebo service. Somehow, the kissy emoticon comes in first at 14.2%. That's gross. Regular smiley face at 12.5 and variations of happy and excited faces all the way down to number 8 which is finally frowny face.

How does your usage compare? :-) Okay. You know what I have to do one day? Or rather one week? Not use emoticons in IMs and blog posts. It's a great and necessary invention, but:
1) I'm starting to overuse them. Sometimes I just happy face as a response to an IM. Sometimes to emphasize how sad I am I'll put 3 in a row as if that means anything.
2) I'm starting to flat out LIE. Just make it lighthearted with a happy face like it makes it all better. "Oh, by the way, I hate you. :-) :-)" because it doesn't actually seem like lying. If they take it in the lighthearted way, then okay, if not, it's me being really passive-aggressive.
3) I don't remember how to convey emotion anymore. There's an emoticon for everything.

I don't think I'll be able to start today or get through internet life without emoticons but it was a thought. :-)

No comments: