Wednesday, August 6, 2008

link roundup

Here we go! This seems to be the best format yet. :-) Least input as possible.

Telegraph: Viruses can catch colds, says study that redefines life itself
This BLOWS MY MIND. Is that too dorky? But as Slashdot put it, viruses can catch viruses. And they're alive I guess? Or rather, they should be given a new class of demi-organism. Kind of reminds me of Archaea Extremophiles.

NYTimes: A 10 Isn’t Necessarily Perfect in New Scoring System for Gymnastics
Whoa. Why do I think this is bigger news than it really is? Shouldn't this have been publicized? The new system is sort of like the one for diving, where you perform a dive with a pre-set difficulty and then the judges score on execution and the two are multiplied together. I first learned this from the Winter Games on the Commodore 64. I should probably be ashamed.

The 100 Most Common English Words
Not a post or an article. Just a sort of game. Try and guess as many as you can in 5 minutes. I scored 50, which I think is respectable enough. I got a phone call in the middle and I didn't see a pause button!

Today's bonus video:
Speaking of gymnastics, and since my coworker was wasting time watching her videos recently, here's Mary Lou Retton's uneven bars routine from her Gold Medal all-around win in 1984. She performs her own move: The Retton Flip. :-) You should watch her other videos. I like to believe that girls didn't abuse themselves as much back then. That's probably not true due to old timey taboo body image issues. I just don't know about the 80s though. Maybe it was a good time! That's what the parties make it seem like.

No comments: