Wednesday, August 6, 2008

whatchu lookin' at?



One of my favorite phrases (as-is, nothing to do with what it means, wordplay, if I use it a lot) is "Bitches be givin' me eyes".
I don't really know what it is in reference to. I think I've only heard the phrase twice. I suspect it has to do with a girl lookin' at another girl "cuz they think I'm a ho" or "cuz they just wanna be me". But whatever, I like it.

I understand that it's not nice to stare in general. I don't particularly like it when people do it most of the time, and I'm sure we've all had "I found myself staring at the guy and then quickly turned away hoping he didn't notice" moments. But it's an unavoidable part of life, and I'm not even sure why it's rude to stare. Also is there a such thing as it being rude to not-stare?

When you encounter someone of say, physical oddities, I feel like they begin to be aware of children staring because they don't know better, and adults purposefully not staring and ignoring that there is anything abnormal about it. It's a serious lose-lose.

I don't think I'm the only person who feels the need to innocently look at, say, little people (as in those who suffer from dwarfism), just because you don't see them much. I'm not sure if it's DC or not, but I've seen more little people here than ever. I just like to see how it affects their body in a way, if the muscles seems like they grew regardless of body frame, or the deepness of their voice...just minor fascination. I know it'd be less rude to say, look it up online or read about it. But instead I choose to look at little people passing by.

But WAIT, that's rude. I don't want them to seem on display. So instead I will purposefully look to the side or at the ground or worse yet, over them.

NO, I need to look casual and gracefully stare at absolutely nothing, as if they don't exist.

But it's not like they're PARIAHS okay what do I do.

Usually by now they're on the metro or something. So whew.

My solution is that we need to get rid of this staring is bad business. As long as it's not a guy looking at someone and licking his lips, I really think it's okay. And those afflicted by being stared at -- white people in China, women with exceptionally large breasts, men with exceptionally beautiful hair, people with acne, girl with really cool shoes I probably looked at for too long the other day just to catch glimpses of them from under her pant legs when she walked, etc -- will just have to take it upon themselves to become more confident people, and know that everyone gets stared at for something.

No comments: