Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Canada did something?

CTV: Canada deports U.S. soldier opposed to Iraq war

I'm hearing the news about 2 weeks late. Interesting topic though.

On Monday, Federal Court of Canada Justice Anne Mactavish said Long did not provide enough convincing evidence that he will face irreparable harm if he's sent back to the United States.


1) I didn't realize that you had to prove irreparable harm.
2) I didn't realize until now thinking back that Canada has a history of offering refuge to Americans for whatever reason, including draft dodging. (Vietnam War)
3) Ya know, I don't think I even thought that people actually fled to Canada in the first place. I knew people thought about it in theory...

Anyway, deserters != draft dodging. The draft is scary. Joining the army and deciding to leave...inherently...has more of your personal choice involved. I'm not sure if that's worth fleeing the country for. It's more your fault than anything else...

That said, I don't know how I think this should play out.

The Kojo Nnamdi Show on my local NPR station covered this topic, which alerted it to me in the first place! Listen to hear some heated opinions.

No comments: