Monday, July 7, 2008

mondegreen?

New words being added to the Merriam Webster dictionary! CNN article (via the AP) here.

My favorite part of this article is how it goes on a tangent on one of its new words, "mondegreen". It apparently stems from an old Scottish ballad where the words "laid him on the green" has been repeatedly (and without knowledge) mistaken for "Lady Mondegreen". I have never heard this so I think the addition of this word is sort of out of nowhere, but I suppose there needed to be a word meaning "words mistaken for other words".

Among the best-known modern examples: "There's a bathroom on the right" in place of Creedence Clearwater Revival's "There's a bad moon on the rise" and "'Scuse me, while I kiss this guy" in place of "kiss the sky" in the 1967 Jimi Hendrix classic "Purple Haze."


Luleelurah? Anyone? Doesn't count 'cuz it's not a word? Fine.

No comments: