Wednesday, July 9, 2008

heathen hunt

Soldier is rattled (in pretty extreme ways) just because he's turned atheist in Iraq. (I'm betting that an experience in Iraq can do a lot more to you that have you lose your faith.)

CNN article here.

Two years ago on Thanksgiving Day, after refusing to pray at his table, Hall said he was told to go sit somewhere else. In another incident, when he was nearly killed during an attack on his Humvee, he said another soldier asked him, "Do you believe in Jesus now?"


Seriously...what? It's not that I don't believe the story, no, I just don't understand what could drive his comrades to attack just because he's not Christian. Apparently he needs a bodyguard now. I never knew that the army had such a religious undertone.

He's also apparently missed out on promotions. I can maybe understand the reasoning that he might not be able to become a good leader because he won't be praying with his troops, etc...and though I might kind of understand that reasoning, I would also say that it's minor, and completely unfair to use that against him.

On a lighter note, doesn't "Do you believe in Jesus now?" sound like something that would come out of a really bad parody of some holy Crusade that takes place in the hood of the future?

No comments: