Thursday, July 10, 2008

middle class chic

The economic stimulus checks apparently went straight to places like Walmart and Costco. CNN article here.

I'm lovin' it. Though I prefer Target, myself, because it's metro accessible and I sort of act white (and white people like Target) I like that the economic downturn has turned people generally more money-conscious, and well, SMARTER. I'm not saying everything should come from Wal-mart (and I'm disregarding anything about Wal-mart as a good or evil corporation) because every store has its place, but I'm glad that bargain hunting is in. (There was an article I can't find about how it's now cool for teens to find deals on stuff, etc...)

I suppose there is no limit to thriftiness, and people could be doing better, and making their own clothes or something, but I'm willing to factor in a small bit of pride and convenience with the saving of money. No kid wants to grow up clothed through garage sales and stained shirts from the Salvation Army store.

No comments: