Tuesday, July 22, 2008

don't use plastic for petro?

CNN: Decision at the pump: Cash vs. credit

The difference of 10 cents a gallon or more has some customers used to paying with a credit card irate, but station owners say they have to do something to turn a profit.


I think a 10 cent difference per gallon is a big deal! I guess I don't know how easy it is to tell if you've been charged the cash price or the credit price since I don't get gas...but I had no idea this was going on! I mean, I've seen cash only gas stations but I get the feeling this is happening in a lot more places.

1 comment:

Mike said...

This has been happening for well over a month at the local "discount" stations -- Delta, Hess, etc., as well as the no-name stations which were generally always the cheapest in town. Filled up today for $3.80/gal in cash, would have been $3.89/gal with credit, and it was $3.93/gal at the Exxon across the street.

I really don't think it's as much inconvenience as they let on (stop at the ATM ON THE WAY to the gas station; don't leave your car, won't get mugged!), and it is very clearly marked at every station that's doing this.

Also, if everyone else in this country is doing their damnedest to squeeze and save every last penny, why are people faulting gas station owners for doing the same? Seems irrational to me. I totally understand where they're coming from and just wondering why gas stations weren't doing this sooner.