Thursday, July 17, 2008

Save up to 3 Lives!



I gave blood today. This is apparently a picture of the Red Cross mascot. HAH. Wow.

You should all give blood sometime if you're eligible.

Also today when I got my finger pricked (worst part!) apparently my iron (well, Hb level) was too low...12.3 when the cutoff is 12.5. The person administering my pre donation tests immediately asked if I'd consent to a re-stick and I guess I immediately said sure. I mean, maybe the margin of error will bring me up! A supervisor had to do the re-stick. I asked during the wait if it ever changed the second time. She said yeah, sometimes it has to do with the technique. This time I had a value of 14.1, which is good enough even for double red donation. Meh. I question these techniques.

Oh I'd never be able to do a double red donation btw. Men only have to be 5'1" and 150 pounds. Women have to be 5'7" and 170. Something to do with muscle mass.

Also new in this month's donation pamphlet: Please don't donate if you've been exposed to the mumps outbreak in Pennsylvania?

Anyway my supposed to be epicly triumphant workweek is not so much, is even less epic than not-so-epic and omg worse weeks to come...

2 comments:

Steve said...

Coincidentally, the Times had an article about the Red Cross today:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/17/us/17cross.html
Apparently, the Red Cross has been sub-par in meeting standards in their blood business (ironically, their questionable methods). Also, CT apparently has a shortage of O-Positive, so they always ask me to do double reds everytime I give. It's pretty cool (and you're guaranteed never to get a newbie becuase you have to be trained to use the machines) and you leave feeling pretty hydrated.

Diana said...

haha damn. I'm really sketched out now.

that machine is really scary! the double red thing. it sort of looks like life support! but yeah. tough luck for me; def ain't 5'5" and I don't wanna be 170lbs.